The New Jersey Board on Attorney Certification was established by the Supreme Court of New Jersey in 1980 for the purpose of helping consumers find attorneys who have a recognized level of competence in particular fields of law. Attorneys may be designated by the Supreme Court as "certified attorneys" if they: are able to demonstrate sufficient levels of experience, education, knowledge and skill in a specific area of law or practice; have passed a rigorous examination; and have been recognized by their peers as having sufficient skills and reputation in the designated specialty.
The Supreme Court, through recommendation by the Board, currently certifies attorneys in four areas: civil trial law, criminal trial law, matrimonial law, and workers' compensation law.
- has been a member in good standing of the New Jersey Bar for at least five years;
- has taken a specific number of continuing legal education courses in the three years prior to filing an application;
- demonstrates substantial involvement in preparation of litigated matters;
- demonstrates an unblemished reputation by submitting a list of attorneys and judges who will attest to the applicant's character and ability;
- passes a written examination covering various aspects of practice in the designated specialty.
Lane M. Ferdinand is a Certified Trial Attorney.
An attorney must meet the following requirements to become certified:
Super Lawyers is a listing of outstanding lawyers from more than 70 practice areas who have attained a high degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
Super Lawyers is published as a special supplement in leading newspapers and city and regional magazines across the country. Super Lawyers magazine, featuring articles about attorneys named to the Super Lawyers list, is distributed to all attorneys in the state or region, the lead corporate counsel of Russell 3000 companies and the ABA-approved law school libraries.
Polling, research and selection are performed by Law & Politics, a publication of Key Professional Media, Inc. Law & Politics has been publishing legal magazines since 1990 and Super Lawyers since 1991.